International Student Admission
This page explains the application procedures for international students interested in graduate study at FSU. Additional information and all required forms can be found in the Supplemental Application Requirements for International Students (PDF).
International Student Application Deadlines
For an overseas international student seeking admission to Frostburg State University, the application and other required documents must be received by the Office of Graduate Services according to the following schedule:
Semester Planning to Enter FSU
Deadline for Submitting Complete Application*
*Please refer to application guidelines listed in specific degree programs.
If you are a foreign national and have been awarded the baccalaureate degree (or its equivalent) from any institution other than a U.S. regionally accredited institution of higher education, you must do the following before you can be considered for admission to graduate study:
- Submit an original Application for Admission to Frostburg State University. We prefer that you apply on-line at http://www.frostburg.edu/grad/apply-to-fsu/#begin. Alternatively, you may download and print a paper copy of the application at http://www.frostburg.edu/fsu/assets/File/grad/gradapp.pdf The name on the application form must match your name as it appears on your passport. If submitting a paper application, the form must be signed and dated by the student.
- Pay the one-time application fee of $30.00 (USD) to Frostburg State University. Payment by credit card may be made online at http://paws.frostburg.edu/WEBAPP/pay.html Checks or Money Orders should be made payable to Frostburg State University (do not send cash). The student’s name should be included with any payment.
- Submit official or school certified academic transcript(s) from all colleges/universities attended. Your academic transcript(s) must list courses undertaken, grades received, annual mark sheets, examination sheets, and leaving certificates as they apply in your home country. Educational credentials not available in English must be accompanied by an official English translation completed by a licensed translator.
- A professional course-by-course evaluation of foreign academic transcript(s) is required for all graduate students. This professional evaluation will determine your academic level within the American system of education. You may send your transcript(s) to one of the following evaluation services. You will be required to pay a fee for the evaluation service
Education Credential Evaluators, Inc. (ECE)
International Consultants of Delaware, Inc.
Postal Mail Address:
P.O. Box 514070
Milwaukee, WI 53203-3470 USA
Courier Service Address:
101 W. Pleasant Street, Suite 200
Milwaukee, WI 53212-3963 USA
Tel: (414) 289-3400
Fax: (414) 289-3411
Postal Mail Address:
P.O. Box 8629
Philadelphia, PA 19101-8629 USA
Courier Service Address:
3600 Market Street, Suite 450
Philadelphia, PA 19104-2651 USA
Tel: (215) 222-8454 ext. 603
Fax: (215) 349-0026
Josef Silny & Associates, Inc
International Education Consultants
Postal Mail & Courier Address:
7101 SW 102nd Avenue
Miami, FL 33173 USA
Tel: (305) 273-1616
Fax: (305) 273-1338
World Education Services, Inc. (WES)
Postal Mail Address:
Bowling Green Station
P.O. Box 5087
New York, NY 10274-5087 USA
Courier Service Address:
64 Beaver Street, Suite 146
New York, NY 10004 USA
Tel: (212) 966-6311
Fax: (212) 739-6100
- GMAT,GRE or other entrance exam. Your program may require GMAT,GRE or other entrance exam. Please see your program admission requirements for admission requirements. ( MBA accepts either GMAT or GRE)
- Proof of English proficiency (may be waived upon request for students whose native language is English). Frostburg State University will consider English proficiency scores from a variety of standardized ESL assessment tests including TOEFL, IELTS, ELS Language Centers, Inlingua English Center, and The Language Company. The following test scores are currently required for full admission to an undergraduate or graduate degree program at FSU:
- TOEFL 550P/213C/79iBT
- IELTS 6.0
- ELS Language Centers – successful completion of ELS Level 112
- Inlingua English Center – successful completion of Inlingua Level 12
- The Language Company – successful completion of TLC Level 9
We recommend that students take the TOEFL or IELTS exam at least six (6) months in advance of the semester for which you are seeking enrollment.
Educational Testing Service
P.O. Box 6155
Princeton, NJ 08541-6151 USA
Tel: (609) 771-7100
Fax: (610) 290-8972
825 Colorado Blvd., Suite 112
Los Angeles, CA 90041-1741 USA
Tel: (323) 255-2771
Fax: (323) 255-1261
- Please provide a clear photocopy of the identification page from your passport (if available).
- If you are applying to Frostburg State University from within the United States, submit clear photocopies of all immigration documents issued by the U.S. Department of State and U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Please include photocopies of your passport, most recent visa (even if it is now expired), and I-94 card (front and back). Please also include photocopies of any Notice(s) of Action for Application to Extend/Change Non-Immigrant Status and any previously issued Employment Authorization Documents (EAD cards), if applicable.
B1/B2 Visitors interested in studying at Frostburg State University must be approved for a Change of Status to F-1 International Student by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) before enrolling in or attending classes. Please contact the FSU Center for International Education at (301) 687-4714 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information regarding this federal immigration regulation.
- International students who are transferring to Frostburg State University from another U.S. college, university or Intensive English Program (IEP) must provide a completed Transfer Eligibility Form and clear photocopies of all previously issued I-20 documents or DS-2019 forms.
- All applicants who wish to receive an I-20 document or DS-2019 from Frostburg State University must submit a completed Certification of Financial Support form along with required supporting financial documentation. The form can be downloaded from http://www.frostburg.edu/ungrad/finconfformug.pdf The student’s financial sponsor must provide an original bank statement showing sufficient funds to cover the student’s tuition, fees, room and board, books, health insurance, and personal expenses for at least the first full year of academic study. The name of the account holder on the bank statement must match the name of the financial sponsor indicated on the Certification of Financial Support form, and the bank statement must be less than 6 months old. (Photocopies and computer generated bank statements are not acceptable.)
- Complete the International Student Certification of Financial Support form (included in the Supplemental Application Requirements for International Student) and submit it to the Office of Graduate Services. This form attests that your sponsor is aware of the educational and living expenses and is prepared to provide the necessary funds. Students must pay all educational costs for the semester in full at registration.
- Complete the Health Insurance Acknowledgment Form (included in the Supplemental Application Requirements for International Students) and submit it to the Office of Graduate Services. You are required to maintain adequate health insurance to continue as an active FSU graduate student and as a valid F-1 visa holder. Students are required to enroll in health insurance and will be billed for health insurance on their student registration bill.
- Fulfill all program admission requirements. Program admission requirements can be found in the Graduate Catalog.
No applicant can be granted admission to Frostburg State University, nor can an I-20 form be issued until all information required has been received by the University.
If you are an international student residing outside the United States, you should not come to Frostburg State University before receiving a formal letter of admission and an I-20. For complete instructions, contact the Office of Graduate Services, Frostburg State University, Frostburg, MD 21532-2303, U.S.A.
Application Materials Checklist
The following materials must be sent to the Office of Graduate Services, Frostburg State University.
- FSU Graduate Application Form
- Official English Proficiency results
- Official college or university transcripts
- GMAT or GRE scores for the following programs: MBA, Biology,Counseling Psychology, School Counseling and Education Interdisciplinary. Praxis II scores for all other Education programs. See program admission requirement in the Graduate catalog for individual program admission requirements.
- Official Transcript evaluation
- FSU Certification of Financial Support Form, with official bank statements from sponsor/s
- $30 Application Fee – paid online or sent to the Business Office, Accounts Receivable, Frostburg State University. This fee must be provided in check or money order in U.S. currency. Frostburg State University is not able to process foreign currency or checks drawn on banks outside of the United States.
- FSU Health Insurance Acknowledgment Form
- Graduate Programs in Biology, Computer Science, Counseling Psychology, , and School Counseling require supplemental application materials. Please go to http://www.frostburg.edu/grad/forms-center for your programs supplemental forms.